Sunday, January 20, 2013

481 months....

I think I may have waited a little too long to have my kids.  Why you ask?  Because lately I am feeling like a crabby old lady.  Little things  have been bugging the crap out of me!!  Here are a few examples...

**  Counting a child's age in months past 18 months.  Once you hit 18 months you are a year and a half old...going forward you are either a numbered year or a numbered year "and a half".  For example; a year and a half, 2 years old, 2 and a half years old...you can follow the pattern.  On top of that there comes a certain age that you drop the "and a half".  I was reading an ad for a local story time and it was geared for children "birth to 54 months".  Seriously!  It said that.  I had to think for a moment...secret's out...I suck at math.  It took a bit for it to register they meant birth to 4 and a half.  Why couldn't they just put that?  Maybe I am in the wrong here.  Maybe when filling out paperwork I am really supposed to be putting down 481 months instead of 40 years old.  Maybe that is the new thing to do.  I might try it and see the reaction I get.  It may seem like a small insignificant issue to most but it is like flippin nails on a chalkboard to me.

** Technology.  Ok, that is nothing new...it is well documented that I am not a fan of technology, but technology and children, more specifically my children really is annoying.  We recently got an ipad and an ipod touch.  If it were up to me I would not have spent the money on them, but we got them none the less.  I am pretty strict in limiting the kids use of them.  I want them to be able to "play".  Just play with their toys, learn how to share and take turns and learn all the important life skills that come along with playing.  That and I have no idea how to use either device.  Well, the other day I said something about the "little ipad" and Anna corrects me saying that it is called and ipod, not ipad.  To which I respond, "that is a shame at 3 you know the difference...that means we are failing as your parents."  I know people argue that the kids need these skills.  Really? The only skill I can discern is the ability to swipe your finger across a germ infested piece of glass.  You can learn the same stuff by playing the game Memory, playing with a toy kitchen set, blocks, play-doh etc.  If we are being honest here, yeah, it is a great distraction for them, is fun and it helps parents get a few minutes to themselves but in terms of skills they "need"...I am not convinced a 3 and 5 year old "need" technology.

**  The idea that a child's feelings should be spared at every turn.  All the kid's TV shows always talk about how everyone is special.  I do agree with that...I am not that crabby, but, why is it that so many parents cushion every blow so their children never need to face adversity?  Sorry, not real life!!  You are not going to be invited to every birthday party or play date, you are not going to win every round of Candy Land, and just because you are awake and alert does not mean you deserve a sticker on your sticker chart.  The other day Sara won a running race and Anna said she was the second winner.  I am not proud of this but it just came out...."you know what the second winner is?  Yup, the first loser."  Yikes it may sound harsh...but it is true.  You can't to win em all.  Like with this blog post...I am sure most of you will not like it but hey...like I said...you can't win em all.


To end on a light note here are some of Anna's best quotes this week.

-- I asked her if she had gone pee before bedtime stories.  She told me she did and asked if I heard it.  I told her no, what did it sound like...she answered, "like rainbows sprinkling down."

-- She comes walking out of the bathroom, sans pants of course.  She has her hand behind her back and says to Chuck in a sing song voice, "I bet you can't find my finger."  Chuck gets up and peeks behind her back and sure enough he couldn't find it because it was buried in her ass crack!  Good one Anna!  You tricked Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment