Thursday, March 6, 2014

It was bound to happen

So Sara and Anna are growing older and with that comes their exposure to the real world.  Up until they started in the public preschool program they lived in a bubble.  Their friends were my friend's kids.  They only knew about shows that I allowed them to watch...in a nutshell the only things that existed to them were things I hand picked for them to know about.

They went off to preschool and the bubble was burst...my kids were exposed to the gritty underbelly of society.  Children other than those I had a preexisting relationship with were there for their friendship...they learned of shows such as "Jessie" and "Dog With a Blog", and subsequently Chuck and I are forced to watch these unbearably corny programs...they learned 2 of my best kept secrets; that there was an American Girl store and Disney was an actual place you go to.  UGH!!  What else were they going to uncover?

They are bright kids.  The girls began to question things.  I knew they would.  Some of the questions I anticipated; "Mom, can I get a tattoo like you?"..."Mom, how did you meet daddy?"..."Mom, why do you have to work and some moms don't?"...I can handle these...I don't get rattled easily.  But this morning it happened.  Sara asked me the question I have been dreading.  Her words made me stop dead in my tracks..."Mom, can we get one of those stick figure, family stickers for the back of our car?"...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  I panicked.  I started to sweat.  I mouth went instantly dry.  I started to speak and all that came out was a combination of stuttering and stammering.  GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF!!!  You can do this.  You spent thousands of dollars on an eduction in child development. So I did what any self respecting parent would do; I lied.  "Oh, yeah, I have seen those.  The car store puts them on a couple of the cars they sell and I guess our car wasn't one of them."  She bought it and moved on.  Thank God.  Now, I have begrudgingly accepted the fact that I drive a minivan (check out my blog post from way back "The Day I Became a Minivan Mom), but I will be damned if I drive a minivan with a stick figure family on the back.  Nope, won't do it.  I have nothing against them and if you have one on the back of your car no judgement here...well, who we kidding...maybe a little...

I know that since sending the girls out into the world Pandora's box has been opened and one can not unsee what has been seen...but maybe we can shove the stick figure bumper stickers back in and I can home-school.


**In an effort of full disclosure this was not my intended post.  I wrote a really good one about something that happened to me last Friday...one of those 'You can't make this sh*t up' ones.  But, just at the same exact moment I was hitting 'save changes' the delete button was also tapped. I am not one for pointing out others mistakes but I will not be typing while holding the baby any time soon**

No comments:

Post a Comment